Rice is one of the most popular grains in the world. It is consumed as a staple by nearly every culture except those on the fringes of the planet. Rice is a semi-aquatic plant that requires constant moist conditions for survival. Thus rice can only be grown in certain regions. Yet it is relatively easy to grow and has great storing qualities.
Rice is mainly a starch, and as such it is used to complement a wide variety of foods in a seemingly infinite number of recipes. To find out more about rice, consult our table of contents below:
- We present a History of Rice. The spread of rice as a staple crop seems to have begun in China.
- There are many Rice Varieties and even some products that are called rice which do not fall into the proper scientific category.
- Rice can be grown in a greenhouse, on small farms, or on large tracts using huge farm machinery.
- Rice Preparation is quite simple and requires only elementary utensils.
- In Cooking with Rice we find a versatile and energizing grain.
- Rice Steamers are available at our aStore.
Many products may also be made from rice, including rice wine, vinegar, cakes, and flour. In the United States puffed rice is made into a popular cereal known as Rice Krispies. Few children or even adults have not been exposed to rice krispie candy, a kind of puffed rice and marshmallow mixture. Rice has proven itself over time to vital to the advancement of human history and the feeding of humankind.
Next Page: History of Rice